Здравствуйте, Гость

Автор Тема: Anyone interested in playing AD&D 1st edition in English?  (Прочитано 4329 раз)

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
Anyone interested in playing AD&D 1st edition in English?
« : Февраля 21, 2011, 22:14 »
I just joined today and really am enjoying the forum. Sorry for not writing in Russian - I understand and speak Russian but writing is a real pain for me.
I'm from America, but have been living in Moscow now for 14 years. As for RPGs, I've been into D&D since the early 80s and still prefer 1st edition AD&D
best of all.

I'm curious to know how many of you out there play in English or would be interested in getting a game up in English.

I would be happy to hear from any other English speaking gamers, especially old school D&Ders like myself who are into 1st edition.

Оффлайн lender

• Завсегдатай
    • Просмотр профиля
Re: Anyone interested in playing AD&D 1st edition in English?
« Ответ #1 : Февраля 21, 2011, 22:20 »
Hm. Really interesting to try to play on English language. When and where do you want to play ? Online or in-real ? I haven't read ADND 1 Edition yet, but i think it is not a very big problem.

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #2 : Февраля 21, 2011, 23:08 »
At the moment I don't play at all, but I would want to play in real life of course, not online. I'm just trying to see if there is any interest first, and then try to organize something.
It might even be fun to play both in English and in Russian - it could make for some interesting role-playing.
As for editions, I have the books for all the editions 1st - 4th, but I've never played 4th yet - it doesn't even look like what I grew up playing. I have played 3rd edition, so I' d be open
to playing that. It might be interesting for some of you to check out 1st edition, though, because it's more role-playing than rules. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. 

Оффлайн lender

• Завсегдатай
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #3 : Февраля 21, 2011, 23:15 »
Heh :). If so ("it's more role-playing than rules"), i just must to go to read it :).
« Последнее редактирование: Февраля 21, 2011, 23:23 от lender »

Оффлайн Арсений

• Администратор
  • Старейшина форума
  • упоительная немезида
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #4 : Февраля 21, 2011, 23:33 »
Just curious - do you play games other than DnD? Old school, like RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu, or something more recent?

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #5 : Февраля 21, 2011, 23:56 »
no unfortunately I only play and know the rules for 1st and 2nd edition D&D - I have played 3rd edition a bit as well.
I've heard Cthulu is a great game, but I've never played. The only horror RPG I ever had back in the 80s was Chill http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_%28role-playing_game%29 but I never actually played it, just read the rules.

Оффлайн Urist McDorf

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #6 : Февраля 22, 2011, 00:05 »
I'm fairly interested in this, though "it's more role-playing than rules" turns me off a bit because it's a... how do I put it... a fairly bad statement to make, usually. Not going to nitpick, though.
In any case, I'd be happy to play with you. I could probably even help you with 4e which you say you have the books for. There's also the matter of sharpening my skill in english (especially spoken), which, to keep up the metaphor, is somewhat dull at the moment.

Оффлайн Арсений

• Администратор
  • Старейшина форума
  • упоительная немезида
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #7 : Февраля 22, 2011, 00:15 »
I must confess, I'm not familiar with AD&D1, but have a lot of fond memories of AD&D2 -  Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun...

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #8 : Февраля 22, 2011, 00:17 »
Heh :). If so ("it's more role-playing than rules"), i just must to go to read it :).

even if you never play it, you should read them - Here's the good torrent - Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide files 9 and 11 http://btjunkie.org/torrent/TSR-D-amp-D-Products/47890bd82fce064033987e545086667f5e67381e22f6
They were written by Gary Gygax back in the days when he ran the whole thing and TSR and not a mega corporation - it really shows in the style and presentation. It's badly edited and contradictory in many parts, but written by somebody really passionate about gaming back when all of this was new. Gygax was a real legend, there even was a word invented for his style of writing - High Gygaxian!

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #9 : Февраля 22, 2011, 00:20 »
I must confess, I'm not familiar with AD&D1, but have a lot of fond memories of AD&D2 -  Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun...

Oh it's almost the same game. 2nd editon differes very very little from 1st edition - just a few minor differences.

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #10 : Февраля 22, 2011, 00:26 »
I'm fairly interested in this, though "it's more role-playing than rules" turns me off a bit because it's a... how do I put it... a fairly bad statement to make, usually. Not going to nitpick, though.
In any case, I'd be happy to play with you. I could probably even help you with 4e which you say you have the books for. There's also the matter of sharpening my skill in english (especially spoken), which, to keep up the metaphor, is somewhat dull at the moment.

yeah, I agree it's debatable. I wasn't trying to start a flame war or anything, and I agree you can role-play with any edition. However, if you look at 1st edition you will notice that it had a lot less set in stone rules than in later editions, and most DMs just improvised stuff on the spot or made up house-rules to cover stuff not in the books. 

Оффлайн Urist McDorf

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #11 : Февраля 22, 2011, 00:31 »
Arright, that's settled then. It should be noted that I do love lots of mechanical character options, though, but a lack of them is not going to stop me if the game is good :33

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #12 : Февраля 22, 2011, 17:00 »
Arright, that's settled then. It should be noted that I do love lots of mechanical character options, though, but a lack of them is not going to stop me if the game is good :33

and I could say the same of the reverse. Sometimes less has it's benefits, however. I'm an English teacher and teach a group of eleven year olds conversational English. I decided
to have some fun and instead of discussing the weather started playing D&D 1st edition with them. We were able to roll up characters in less than 5 minutes and I was able to explain the rules as
we played and they could understand everything without having to read the books. It's especially easy if you play a fighter - just roll the dice to see if you hit in combat and that's all you have to know! Everything
else I worry about as DM and the rest is just role-playing for the characters. 

Оффлайн Urist McDorf

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #13 : Февраля 23, 2011, 15:41 »
So, it seems you have a total of three people interested right now, which, while somewhat a small amount, is still enough for a game. We could use an IRC channel for easier communication, in any case.
For that, you'll just have to go to http://rizon.net/index.php?do=chat, choose a nick (no registration required) and choose... hmm, I dunno, let's call it #dndmoscow for now... as the channel. Simple as that, and that'll allow real-time communication between more than two people (the limitation that ICQ and other things like that have).

Оффлайн egalor

• Старожил
  • JUE SUIS WARHAMMER
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #14 : Февраля 23, 2011, 19:27 »
I just joined today and really am enjoying the forum. Sorry for not writing in Russian - I understand and speak Russian but writing is a real pain for me.
I'm from America, but have been living in Moscow now for 14 years. As for RPGs, I've been into D&D since the early 80s and still prefer 1st edition AD&D
best of all.

I'm curious to know how many of you out there play in English or would be interested in getting a game up in English.

I would be happy to hear from any other English speaking gamers, especially old school D&Ders like myself who are into 1st edition.

Hey, what about joining Warhammer roleplay (Fantasy / 40k)?

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #15 : Февраля 24, 2011, 18:08 »
So, it seems you have a total of three people interested right now, which, while somewhat a small amount, is still enough for a game. We could use an IRC channel for easier communication, in any case.
For that, you'll just have to go to http://rizon.net/index.php?do=chat, choose a nick (no registration required) and choose... hmm, I dunno, let's call it #dndmoscow for now... as the channel. Simple as that, and that'll allow real-time communication between more than two people (the limitation that ICQ and other things like that have).

wow, it's cool to see people are still using IRC. OK we'll keep in touch and see what happens.

Оффлайн Snarls-at-Fleas

• Старейшина форума
    • snarlsatfleas
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #16 : Февраля 24, 2011, 18:26 »
Simple as that, and that'll allow real-time communication between more than two people (the limitation that ICQ and other things like that have).

What stops you from using Skype, guys?

Оффлайн Urist McDorf

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #17 : Февраля 24, 2011, 19:04 »
It's bloated and unwieldy?

Оффлайн lender

• Завсегдатай
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #18 : Февраля 24, 2011, 19:31 »
Эм... Переведите пожалуйста :D

Оффлайн Urist McDorf

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #19 : Февраля 24, 2011, 19:39 »
Тяжеловесный и неудобный он, этот ваш Скайп. По крайней мере, по сравнению с IRC.

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #20 : Февраля 24, 2011, 20:59 »
Тяжеловесный и неудобный он, этот ваш Скайп. По крайней мере, по сравнению с IRC.

Very true, but at least in Linux it's not as bloated as the new version in Windows, the Windows version is
truly awful. IRC is better of course

I do use skype occasionally though I often turn it off when I want to get work done, but if any of you guys want
to contact me there about gaming or just to chat my user name there is flupwatson. Just be sure to mention you're from the
forum if you add me,

Оффлайн flup

• Гость
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #21 : Февраля 24, 2011, 23:01 »
it seems strange now but back in the 80s when D&D first became popular, a lot of people thought that it was satanic.
My mom thought so too and burned all my AD&D stuff sometime in the mid-80s.

Here's a comic that was widely read illustrating the dangers of Dungeons and Dragons

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

The funniest part is that a lot of people really believed it!

Оффлайн EvilCat

• Старейшина форума
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #22 : Февраля 25, 2011, 13:48 »
The comic is just epic %)
(But the misconception about D&D in its early years is not.)

Оффлайн lender

• Завсегдатай
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #23 : Февраля 25, 2011, 14:10 »
Year, it is funny to view it now, but it is amazing, what people believed in it !